Monday, July 20, 2015

Week 8

This past week I've been adding some functionality to the index system while the current PR is being reviewed: taking slices of slices, including non-copy and non-modify modes as context managers, etc. One issue my mentors and I discussed in our last meeting is the fact that `Column.__getitem__` becomes incredibly slow if overriden to check for slices and so forth, so we have to do without it (as part of a larger rebase on astropy/master). Our decision was to drop index propagation upon column slicing, and only propagate indices on Table slices; though this behavior is potentially confusing, it will be documented and shouldn't be a big deal. For convenience, a separate method `get_item` in `Column` has the same functionality as the previous `Column.__getitem__` and can be used instead.

I have a lot more to write, but I need to be up early tomorrow morning so I'll finish this post later.

No comments:

Post a Comment